Sunday 24 February 2013

Inspirations





 
Please click date button to view entire post.

Hi everyone,

Today I thought I would talk a little about inspirations. As a writer I am always amazed at what can trigger a story. It can be the smallest and most unexpected thing – a phrase, a place, a picture or even a piece of jewellery.

I also discovered that ideas will come at the most inopportune times – generally when I’m walking in the gardens (the only time I don’t carry a notebook) or in the shower (yep, no notebook there either) or of course in the moment you are about to fall asleep.

But sometimes the inspiration appears as soon as you come across a physical article. My time travel story, Until the Stars Burn Cold all started because I stumbled across an interesting silver ring. Whereas Capturing Bliss came into being because I had been reading an article on arranged marriages during the medieval period.

Of course, some ideas will come from the less tangible world of feelings. How you feel in that particular moment and what would a character do if she felt the very same way?

I drew upon memories to write my latest work. My mother was a dancer and I spent a lot of time as a child backstage in an atmospheric Victorian period theatre. Really, thinking back how could I not write a story about it? So for Dancing on Air, I have mixed memory with history and of course romance.

My newest work in progress was inspired by a picture. I was looking for some images to buy for a trailer when I came across a picture in Bigstock. It made me pause, stare and think. A traditional Celtic song spun around in my head and after a few minutes I not only had an idea but a plot line and a title. I had a fairytale. And yes, I bought the image... see above.



So how does inspiration strike you?
 

As always, thanks for dropping by.

Nicóle     xx

p.s.  Misrule’s Mistress has just received a lovely review from Satin Sheets Romance. The link is here if you would like to check it out. If you leave a comment at Satin Sheets Romance you could win a pdf copy of Misrule.


 

 Cinderela_in_red
 
 
Images - Bigstock & Gifgifs.com

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your inspiration Nicole, I love to hear how other writers create.

    Like you, my inspiration can be as simple as an image, a memory or a slip of conversation I hear while out and about.

    Sometimes stories sit in the back of your mind just waiting for the right spark to set it free.

    Cheers,
    Margaret



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Margaret. It's funny how a little thing can spark a story :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicole!

    I often find music inspires me and I always associate certain songs with the stories I'm creating. The mood of the song often gives me inspiration rather than the actual lyrics a lot of the time. And I find that if I'm having any type of writer's block, I just have to listen to music again and it helps get me back into the right creative mode (so far at least). I'm loving Ed Sheeran's "Give Me Love" just now.

    Photos of all the romantic and beautiful places I'd love to visit often inspire me as well - what did I do before Google Images???

    Cheers

    Jen Ensor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did we do before Google indeed! Thanks so much for stopping by, Jen :)

      Delete
    2. Urgh, my comment disappeared. lol
      I usually get a single idea in my mind, and everything stems from there. It just runs until the very last idea and then wella, subplots arrive.

      I said usually, but just lately I asked my husband a question and he came up with something I haven't seen or read as being used before. Ideas, setting, and characters are pouring through my mind and onto paper. I do an outline before I start a novel.

      I love starting a new novel, it's exciting, uplifting and sometimes I can't wait for people to read it. lol. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, Suzanne. I really enjoy starting a new novel as well, it is exciting and there always seems to be so many possibilities. :)

      Delete